Sunday 4 February 2018

Cushion Cover in Tunisian Simple Stitch

Now that I am confident crocheting the Simple Tunisian Stitch I got going on a project to replace a cushion cover in my favourite colour, turquoise. 

The cushion itself was an 18th inch cushion  and I started off with enough chains to match the width of this cushion.  I didn't allow more than 1cm of overlap as the cushion wasn't particularly dense so making it a tight fit would mean no sag and help plump up the pillow.

I designed this with ease in mind as I didn't want to have a zip or buttons as a closure.  I created the back panel larger than the front so that it overlapped the front.  I then sewed the overlap down onto the side seams.  At this point I had already joined all the other seams together with a crochet stitch.  I found it better to join the bottom seam first and then worked from the bottom edges up.  This way I knew it would be a perfect fit.

I spent the morning thinking how I could add a nice trim to the edge of the overlap and experimented with chains and clusters but wasn't happy with the outcome so ripping this out, I then added chains that I joined at intervals.  I then made some pompoms to tie onto the chains.  My smallest pompom maker by Clover made pompoms that were too large so I made use of my multipom  pompom maker and this produced much smaller pompoms for me which were the size I needed.

I have now finished my cushion and here it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment